Skip to main content

How many digits does case number consist of in Los Angeles California for law suit?

City Of Industry, CA |

I received a phone call from a so called "Processor" saying that i have been sue for a payday loan check that was bounced back in December 2010 in the amount of $300 and he said he was gonna come over to my house this morning and issue a court summon
case # 13573- A. Is this a legitimate case number and what should i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It could be.
Unlimited Superior Court cases in L.A. County usually have two letters followed by six numbers.
Limited and small claims cases are numbered differently depending on what court it was filed in. Call the clerk's office for whatever court it was filed in and ask them.
You can also sometimes check online.


Los Angeles Superior Court ("LASC") case numbers differ based on whether they are limited jurisdiction cases or unlimited jurisdiction cases. General jurisdiction case numbers consist of 2 letters followed by 6 numbers (for example, "BC999189"). The first letter indicates the district where the case was filed, while the second letter indicates the type of case it is. Limited jurisdiction case numbers consist of 2 numbers, followed by a letter, followed by 5 numbers (e.g., "13K58912"). (I have included the link to the LASC "Case Number Prefix Matrix" for you below.)

Thus, "13573- A" does not, on its face, appear to be an LASC case number. Hope this helps.


Without the two letter prefix, it would not be an accurate case number for a Los Angeles Superior Court unlimited jurisdiction case. However, if the amount is for $300, it is most likely either a small claims court case or a limited jurisdiction court case. But the Los Angeles Superior Court does not designate such cases by six digits only. Rather, the case would have the last two numbers of the year filed, followed by a single letter such as C or S, and then five numbers.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer