Skip to main content

How many days do you sit out in jail for a $3000 cash bond?

Irving, TX |

my brother missed his court day for aggrevated assault bodily injury. He went to reinstate the bond or reschedule court but they decided to take him in and there is a $3000 cash bond for him now. How many days will he be in there? In Dallas County?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


That will person will sit in jail until the bond is posted or until it is reduced so bond can be psted. That is, until teh criminal matters are disposed of.

Contact a criminal defense attorney to help prepare the proper paperwork for a bond reduction.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


The purpose of a bond is to make sure that you show up for court. If he missed court, he has failed to meet his responsibility. There is no amount of time directly linked to the amount of the cash bond.

You need to contact a Defense Attorney, and a most likely a bondsman, unless you have $3000 to give to the court until his case is resolved.


As noted above, this is not like a parking ticket that can be sat out. This is a bond to secure his release and the court made it a cash bond only because of his non-appearance, so either he needs to put up $3k or he needs to hire an attorney to negotiate a reduction in bond and to allow a surety (or bailbondsman) to be made on his behalf. Otherwise, he'll be there until his charge is resolved. Which, if he's thinking about pleading guilty, might be a good thing so he can have time served. If you post a bond with a bondsman, you do not get that money back and if he pleads guilty but hasn't been in very long he won't have time-served credits.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer