How many and type of signatures do I need on a will to have it notarized?

San Francisco, CA |

I have a will drawn up and i just need to know how many signatures and what type do they need to be so I can have it notarized. I had to rewrite my will since a couple of people have passed on

You need two witnesses who do not take anything under the will. They need to be adults and preferably younger than you, so they do not likely predecease you. There is no reason not to have a third witness however, in case one dies.

Absolutely do NOT have your will notarized!!! California does not recognize a notary seal as being valid on a will. You MUST have at least 2 "disinterested" witnesses. Neither their signatures nor yours need to be notarized, but you do need to follow the proper "ceremonial procedures" for making sure the will is valid.

I urge you to seek competent legal advice.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

You need at least 2 witnesses who aren't benficiaries - usually lawyers use their office staff. Wills are very affordable, so hire a lawyer to get it done right.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.