Skip to main content

How long will it take to bring my son and wife to the us if I'm just a green card holder

Jamaica, NY |

I would like to know how long the process takes to bring my immediate relatives here if I'm a green card holder

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It depends upon what country you are from. You didn't tell us that.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |



The country is Haiti


The FB-2a category is going quickly these days but usually a couple of years. They are not considered immediate realtives until you become a U.S. citizen. when are you eligible to apply? You can also explore other nonimmigrant options for them to come sooner through a consult with an immigration attorney..

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Usually a couple of years but quota seems to be moving faster nowadays, but then again, that could change. They are only considered "immediate relatives" if you are a USC, not when LPR. When do you qualify to naturalize? I would do that ASAP when qualify.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


We need to know what country your relative is from to give an accurate answer. The visa bulletin shows that visas are available for next month for September to October 2011 depending on the country. So about 1 1/2 years. That is just an estimate.


About 4 years.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer