Skip to main content

How long will is misdemeanor larceny stay on my record?

Lincolnton, NC |

In 2010, I saw arrested for a number of charges, which I did not even know I was guilty of doing anything wrong. I had pawned a television which I had on rent to own. I moved from the county where I had pawned the television and after I had moved, the RTO company wanted the television back, even though I only owed 2 payments on it. I offered to pay it in full, and the manager told me that I couldn't do that and he wanted the tv back. At any rate, he filed charges against me and then subsequently, the pawn shop did too, since he found out through the grapevine that the tv was in pawn. When I went to court, they reduced the charge to larceny of 500 dollars. The original charge was a felony charge, and it was reduced. I can't even get a part time job because of this being on my record.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


These charges stay on your record for ever. If you were under the age of 18 you may be able to get an expungement, otherwise you have to wait 15 years under North Carolina law.


You may be able to expunge a misdemeanor larceny conviction 15 years after the sentence or probationary period ends, even if you did commit the offense as an adult.

<a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or <a href="">Raleigh DWI attorney</a> in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.


You have to have the charges expunged . . . you can have the felonies removed now, but if you want to have the larceny taken off, you are going to have to wait 15 years.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit