Skip to main content

How long will I have to wait for my work permit and after that my green card?

Gainesville, GA |

Nkt.In July of 2012 I applied for I360 under vawa. I got prima facia 2 weeks later. In June 2013 my petition was approved. I would like to know how long will it take to get a work permit and what i have to do to get it AND what is the priority date or how long do i have to wait for a become available for adjustment of status..
P.S : My exhusband is a resident NOT a citizen. Thanks for all your help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The priority should be tracked based on the I-130 petition your husband had filed or the date your I-360 was filed whichever is earlier. IN the second scenario, take the I-360 date and look in the F2A category priority. When it becomes current, you can file I-485. Until then, you can apply for EAD already. Takes 60 days to get it.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You cannot file for adjustment of status until your priority dates I current. If your husband had filed an I-130 previously, you could benefit from that priority date, but if not, your priority date is in July 2012. Once adjustment of status is filed, it takes up to 90 days for the work permit to be issued.


I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Counsel Segal gave a very detailed primer of the matter

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer