Skip to main content

How long takes to get the residence for a beneficiary that lives in Colombia when the cutoff date for category becomes current?

Miami, FL |

I am Colombian, I am a permanent resident since 8/21/2011. I got my residence through my father who is a US citizen. I made a petition for my husband who lives in Colombia and this petition was received on 1/23/2013. I know in august the F2A category becomes current so I want to know what´s the next step and how long may take for him to immigrate the USA

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Once your petition is approved, USCIS will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing. This usually happens within 30 days of approval. Once you have paid the NVC processing fees and supplied all of the requested information, the NVC will schedule an interview at the consulate in Bogota and forward the file there. If you move fast once the file gets to the NVC, that process should take about 3 months, give or take. I would recommend consulting a qualified immigration lawyer to assist and guide you through this process so you and your husband can be reunited as quickly as possible. Best of luck to you.


Until the visa is approved, and forwarded to the National Visa Center, and that process is completed, he cannot get his visa. It can take about a year and a half for the visa to be approved.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree that this process may take 18 months or longer.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602