Skip to main content

How long is the Statute of Limitations for injuries in a motor vehicle accident in Brevard County, Florida?

Melbourne, FL |

I had a motor vehicle accident in the spring of 2007 in Brevard county, Florida. Is it too late to bring suit for my injuries?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It appears that the statute of limitations for motor vehicle cases in Florida is 4 years. However, you should IMMEDIATELY consult with an attorney. Your limitations period is looming and you should take action now. Do not delay by trying to work with a claims adjuster at this point. They will undoubtedly try to delay you until your limitation period has expired.


No. The statute of limitations in Florida for negligence is four years from the date of the negligent act.

LEGAL ADVERTISEMENT – I am not seeking to represent you based on the response to this question. The answer given is for general information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is hereby intended. However, if you have additional questions concerning this matter you may call me at (561) 802-4124; e-mail me at or write to me at Thomas M. Bates, P.A., 1655 Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard, Suite 402, West Palm Beach, FL 33401.


The Statute of Limitations for a negligence action in Florida is 4 years. However, if your auto accident involves a claim against your own insurance carrier for potential UM benefits and it is brought as a breach of contract, you may have up to 5 years after the date of loss.

You should contact a lawyer immediately if you are considering a claim.


Florida has a four-year statute of limitations. You should consult with an attorney now.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer