How long does VT service center take to process I485 based on an approved I-360?

Rockville, MD |

My I-360 and I485 were filed in 6 months difference. My ex was a us citizen. My I360 was approved on May 2013. However I did not hear anything about the adjustment of status and I do not understand the time frame of the I485 even though it says 4 months online. Mine has been filed over a year ago and when I checked online it says that it is still under review. I attempted and info pass and was told to send an email to VT service center to which I never got a reply for over a month. Did I have to send anything after the approval of the I360 and the differed action notice? Or is it normal for the process to be slow in Vermont and not get a reply? When shall I expect to receive and interview notice? Shouldn't I have it by now? Thanks for the reply.

Best Answer

It could take several months and the USCIS may forward the I-485 to a local office for an interview. Consult with an immigration attorney for further guidance.

Thank you for the response. When I checked online, it says that my I485 has been transferred to the local office this week. So when can I estimate to have an interview? What questions should I expect? Do I really need a lawyer for the interview? The thing is I had a lawyer at the begging of the application and that was in NJ, but I moved to DC about a year ago and I've been corresponding with uscis by myself since I moved here. And I'm now wondering whether it will not harm me to go by myself to the interview or if I necessarily must get a lawyer. As much as I know the advantage of having a lawyer, I've also had some disappointments with lawyers. I was trying to review what questions were some of the vawa applicants were asked during the green card interview and according to that it seems that having a lawyer is unnecessary as the questions are the yes or no questions from the I-485 application. How true is that? If going by myself has a risk, I don't want to take any chance at the last minute. Please give me an honest answer.Thank you!

A few months

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Estimated processing times are listed on www.uscis.gov. You are in a good company of many. Like them, you have three options: 1. continue waiting. 2. make an inforpass and try to follow up. 3. hire an experienced immigration attorney locally.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.