Skip to main content

How long does the respondent have to respond after defendant serves new OSC in CA- Riverside county.

Costa Mesa, CA |

After being served with a petition, summons, and order to show cause; I responded with objections on 7/13 by having the petitioners attorney served and then on 7/19 I hand delivered a copy to the petitioner. I would like to find out, not only what I can expect next but how long they have to respond.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is not legal advice nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney who can analyze and advise you as to your unique situation.

Practically speaking, you could be handed their response the day of the hearing. It is also very possible that the judge may keep you there all morning and tell you to come back at a later time. It is equally possible that you walk in, look at the docket, and find that the judge has already made his/her ruling. At which point you may be given an opportunity to be heard, very briefly, as to why you disagree with the tentative ruling.

If the items to be addressed at the hearing include child visitation, custody, or support, you will first have to have completed the court mediation. If you have not done so, the matter will likely be continued to another date. So do not miss it.

To avoid many more hearings like this throughout your divorce, I strongly recommend that you consider finding another way to resolve your divorce (mediation, collaboration). There are healthier, less expensive, and faster ways to resolve your divorce issues. If you would like more information, I invite you to visit my website. Also, the second Saturday of every month, I present a workshop on divorce in Rancho Cucamonga. It's been a very well received program for people about to enter divorce or currently going through it. It addresses all aspects of a divorce, legal, financial, emotional, real estate, and how to stay out of court. Definitely worth the effort.

Good luck to you both