Skip to main content

How long does my insurance has to close my claim?

Fremont, CA |

someone hit my car and run that was like between february10-15 of 2013.
i make a claim to my insurance Bristol that is with farmers they said they have to investigate
it's been over a month i call them again and they said to wait until they finish my concern is how long should i wait i think a month is more than enough maybe i am wrong that's why i need an answer what is the time frame that they have to investigate? it there any limit of time that they have? should i just wait?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


They typically don't have a time frame though the great majority of property damage claims are completed within a month.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at



thanks for the quick answer


A month is not a long time to investigate. There are many reasons why it is taking them so long, may be they are investigating if there was coverage or they are waiting for police report, etc. However, the next time you call, you should ask why it is taking so long and what is the time frame on their investigation.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed.



thank you for your answer is not the police report because i didn't make one. and i call and they ask me to wait. That's why i was wonder if there was any limit that they should respect but i guess i will have to wait thank you.


I don't know if there is a hard and fast timeline under California law. You may want to search "Calinfornia Fair Claims Settlement Practices Act". This type of law should set forth dealines for an insurance company to respond to your demand, etc...You may also contact your State Department of Insurance and ask questions and file a complaint if necessary. If you cannot get your claim resolved in a reasonable period of time (very shortly) you should consult with a lawyer. Good luck.


A property damage should be taken care within the first three weeks of the accident. If not taken care, get your car out of the garage right away. Or you will end up paying a fortune or lose your car in the process. If you are lucky, your bodily injury case could be settled in six months but more likely from nine months to one year. There are cases that linger around but those are the complicated ones. If you have a PI case in California, the wise thing to do is hire your PI lawyer. He will not charge you anything until he collects money for you. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


It depends on the facts underlying the claim. Ultimately, if you feel like your insurance company is not properly investigating your claim, speak with an attorney who deals with insurance bad faith for an evaluation. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You may want to retain a local insurance lawyer to expedite.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer