How long does it usually take to receive my conditional Green Card after the 1st interview ?

New York, NY |

i recently got married to an american citizen & i had my first interview on October 2012.
the thing is i havent heared anything from them until now !!! it has been almost 4 months now & when i called they said still in process nothing is shown up yet!!
p.s at the interview the officer took a copy of my Social Card, my passport, 3 photos of us together & a bank check which she asked me to write VOID on. is that a long wait for approval or rejection ? :-(

Best Answer

It is not unusual for an officer to make copies of your documents like that at an interview. It's difficult to say what is causing the long wait -- sometimes it can be because there are additional checks that need to be run and sometimes some cases just get put on the back burner so to speak, for no good reason. If you didn't have a lawyer representing you who can follow up on the case for you, your option is to keep calling the 800 number every few weeks until they can make a service request to look into it.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.

thnx for the best answer amongst All & yeah btw she asked if i was working at the time of the interview & i did say yes i was working without a social security number & getting paid in cash !!! would that harm too ?

Was the interview you had on your adjustment of status application?

its my 1st interview after marriage yes

yeah btw she asked if i was working at the time of the interview & i did say yes i was working without a social security number & getting paid in cash !!! would that harm too ?

Make an InfoPass appointment.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Maybe.

Talk to a local immigration attorney. In my experience, if an adjustment interview goes well, the officer informs the couple, and the green card is manufactured and mailed in a few weeks.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

If you supply all required documentation at the initial interview, you usually get your decision at the close of the interview. If the Officer has to wait for supervisory review or other documentation, the progression of your case will depend on the Officer's pending caseload, and other cases ahead of yours.

Barbara Ivarine Suri

Barbara Ivarine Suri

Not usually if you are married to a United States citizen.

There can be many reasons for this type of delay. You should have developed some sense from the interview as to how things were going. Generally speaking, this type of delay should give you enough concern that if you didn't have an attorney representing you at the time of your interview, you should strongly consider hiring an AILA attorney who can at least ascertain the reason for the unusual delay.