Skip to main content

How long does it take when plea is entered for a bench trial to have a court date

Greer, SC |

i went to court yesterday on cdv first offense plead not guilty and wanted a bench trial my wife did not show up and they continued my case i want to know how long it can be before i have another court date

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If that was your first appearance, then it was likely an arraignment not a trial date. You should have had an attorney appointed to your case. You should speak to your attorney about what will happen next. You should have received your next court date before you left court; if not, you need to call the court clerks office to find out when your next date is scheduled.

Please speak to your attorney about your case. If you dont already have one, get one immediately. Do not assume that because your wife wasnt present in court, the case will be dismissed - it is typically not required for the victim to have to be present for arraignment.


This answer depends on the clerk of Court in your county. Generally, bench trial dates are quicker than the jury trial docket. If you were merely granted a continuance, your case will probably be set for the officer's next Court date. You are probably looking at around 4-6 weeks. I would call the clerk and see. More importantly, you need to consult with an attorney in your area about the CDV charge. CDV charges carry harsh penalties and a conviction precludes you from carrying a firearm or hunting.

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111


You should consult a local criminal defense lawyer right away. If you can't afford one, you should ask to have one appointed for you.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: