Skip to main content

How long does it take to start getting payments from PIP ins?

Marysville, WA |

I was hit by a car while crossing the street. Driver has PIP ins and I was told they would pay a caregiver to come to my house and help me with things I was unable to do with my fractured fibula head. Its been 6 weeks and I still haven't rec'd anything. Now the ins co is saying they need to further investagate. I was the only person injured in this accident. The police report says accident was hit and run, the driver being the one fleeing. She was found and info taken. I am unable to get around still. How long does it take for payments to start? How can I speed things up? I am the victim. Im still injured. Why are they taking so long to begin the payments?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

There is no set time period for the PIP insurer to make payments to a 3rd party (i.e., not a first party insured), but I would echo the prior response and encourage you to seek out an experienced personal injury attorney to explain your rights so that you can propertly protect your interests. The initial free consultation should probably prove valuable to you, even if you decided not to retain counsel at this point. Remember, that the insurance company isn't motivated by what is "fair". It is restricted by the policy language plus an interest in paying out as little as reasonably possible. You may also find some useful information on my website below.


It's been six weeks, and you apparetly have yet to consult with a lawyer who would actually know all of the facts pertinent to your case far better than any lawyer responding to you short post on this board. Most personal injury attornies will consult for free, and take these cases on a contingent fee basis. You have a serious injury. I hope you will seek a lawyer soon who will word for you, rather than hope that the insurance company will be "fair" with you. Good luck.

The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, the only remedy in this kind of situation is to hire an attorney. Typically, in accident cases like yours, an attorney will work for a contingency fee. What that means is that you don't have to pay anything up front. If the PIP adjuster is refusing to pay a valid claim like yours you can expect that this kind of treatment from the at fault driver's insurance company will continue.

My firm handles this kind of work. I would be happy to talk with you about your options at this point no obligation, no charge.

nformation posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted on Avvo Answers, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer