Skip to main content

How long does it take to hear back on a petition to re-open/re-consider after the denial of a marriage based Green Card?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a Canadian citizen and have been in the US 1/2 my life. I have been married to an American for over 7 years. About 6 months ago, after several years of work, and tons of $ paid to immigration attorneys, my Green Card was denied as there was "insufficient data on marriage being bona fide" (also, the final interview didn't go to well and it seemed like he had it out for me from the get-go). We since filed a petition to re-open/reconsider and haven't heard back yet. Do you know how long it takes to hear back? Also, what are the odds of getting a Green Card after this? (We supplied a lot more evidence, tons of pics, written attests, bank statements, etc.)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The time varies from office to office. Here it takes 30 days to 6 months.


It will take months, to say the least. Also expect a knock on the door from the USCIS L.A. Investigations unit. Hopefully you'll get approved, since yours seems to be a genuine marriage.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your case does not seem to be the one that requires tons of dollars to be paid to an immigration attorney. If you failed an interview you have two options - seek an appeal not reopening on the I-130 and reopening on I-485 or refile the whole thing again.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer