How long does it take to have the asylum interview when you are in detantion center?

Florence, AZ |

He/She got cought by an ICE officer, is now in florence detention center waiting for the asylum interview. Can the lawyer get him bailed out before the interview or does he/she have to wait of the asylum officer? It's allready 70 days after when he/she was asking for an asylum. how long does this processing takes? Thank you AVVO...

Your inquiry is based on vague facts. Was he/she detained at the border? If yes, ICE may have issued a Notice to Appear classifying his/her as an arriving alien. For those, there is no bond by an immigration judge, only by ICE. Was he/she given a credible fear interview, or he/she is still waiting for it? A lawyer probably can ask ICE to release him/her on bond, but it depends on many factors concerning flight risk and danger to society. I don't think you can hurt by asking the judge for a bond hearing - the worst case scenario he will say no, but this will not make the situation worse than it already is.

Thank you! Yes he/she detained at the border. He/she asked for an asylum. Now he/she is still waiting for the asylum officer to get interviewed.

Mr. Valk is correct ... more/better facts are needed.

Meet with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Not that I am interested in the immigration issues......."asylum" is different from "political asylum". I assume the Asker meant political asylum. And is she trying to get out of the U.S. (u.s citizen) due to persecutions in the U.S. or is she coming to the U.S. due to persecution in other country and trying to get politiccal asylum visa into the U.S.? Why did she get "caught" doing what? Illegally coming into the country? Just strange post.

More details would be needed to give you an answer to this question. The best thing that your friend can do is to hire an immigration lawyer to help him with his case.

(703) 424-2979. Virginia Immigration Lawyer - Helping Future Americans Become Citizens