Skip to main content

How long does it take to get reply after sending in immigration documents

Norfolk, VA |

My wife is waiting for a reply from immigration after her atty sent in papers.She's trying to get work permit and green card.

My wife is in the United States and she needs her green card and work permit.We got married here in Virginia in July 2012..Her work visa has expired.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is hard to answer your question without some more information. Is your wife in the United States? Is she applying for a green card through marriage or some other family relation? The wait time will depend on where the application is processed and the basis on which she applied for the green card (i.e., family or employment based).

This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information please visit or contact The Law Offices of Yasmin Kayiran at (323) 370-6136 or


She needs to direct the question to her attorney.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


USCIS is required to issue an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) within 90 days of filing your petition. You can determine the date of filing by looking at your I-765 Receipt Notice. However if a Request for Evidence (RFE) is issued the 90 days will toll for the time it takes you to properly respond to the RFE. Similarly failure to attend a biometric appointment will delay the approval of an EAD as well.

Good luck. Don't forget to ask your attorney these questions. It's what you are paying them for. If they can't answer your questions, you need a new attorney.

Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: . We cannot provide legal advice or recommendations unless you retain our law firm to represent you. No attorney/client relationship will begin until you sign a representation agreement and make a retainer payment to open a case with us. Any information found here is general in nature and should not be relied upon in individual cases.