Skip to main content

How long does it take to get my citizenship after I filled my application?

Virginia |

I live in Virginia for almost 6 years and I have my green card also Iam 19 years old. I didnt apply for my citizenship because i dont have enough to pay for the fee it is almost $ 700. Iam engaged and my fiance lives in Afghanistan , he is studien and will get his ingeenering diploma this year. How can I bring him here?
Can some one help me . Also how long it takes for all this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


One thing at a time
You will not be able to bring a fiance until after you are a US citizen as there is no category for fiance of permanent resident. It takes approximately 4-5 months for citizenship from time of filing assuming there are no adverse factors such as criminal activity. If you want to change your name, it takes longer for citizenship as you will need a judicial swearing in and that takes longer.

One concern - If you are going to sponsor a fiance after you are a US citizen, you will need to provide an affidavit of support. If you are having problems gathering the money for the naturalization fee, you need to also think about what it will cost for a fiance visa as well. You can have a second joint sponsor , but we are getting ahead of ourselves. Concentrate on the citizenship first.

You will want to consider consulting an immigration attorney to be sure you are eligible for citizenship as filing without looking at potential issues can cause problems with your green card.

By the way, be sure you have registered for the selective service.

The process for bringing in a fiance is approximately 6-8 months from start to finish. Again, an in-person consultation is a good investment to be sure all issues are discussed.

This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consultation with an experienced competent immigration attorney is often the best way to address the complexities of individual immigration issues.


Answered 03/09/2010: Your Citizenship application (Form N-400) is supposed to take 6 months. My experience lately is that it takes closer to a year. After you are a U.S. Citizen, you can file either a fiance visa or a family petition depending on if you are married or engaged. The family petition with consular processing takes approximately 1 1/2 years. If you do a fiance visa, you could request a K Visa and have your fiance come stay here while waiting. It still takes about the same amount of time. You could use an immigration lawyer to ensure success. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
Geno Law Firm
Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-691-GENO (4366) Office
703-691-4774 Fax Email Web Web

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer