How long does it take to get back child support out of a tax return?

Kingman, KS |

my ex is very far behind and has avoided paying the full amopunt of child support that he is ordered to pay cause he cant keep a job or quites his job the second they start garnishing his paycheck. how long do i have to wait until they pull it out of his tax return?

You will need to ask the child support enforcement office in the state enforcing the order. In general, the office would wait for the child support to reach at least a certain amount (such as 6 times the month child support amount) before contacting the federal government.

Since an employee can reduce his tax withholdings via a W-4, seizing child support via intercepting tax refunds may not work with persons who know to file a W-4 to claim many exemptions.

You can review your facts with your attorney to see if you have other ways to collect the child support.