Skip to main content

How long does it take to get a green card as a spouse of a US citizen for 10 years abroad?

Hawaiian Gardens, CA |

I've been married for 10 years to my wife who is US citizen outside the US. Now I am quitting my job abroad and planning to reside in the US for good. I need to proceed my green card and wanna know how long it would take and what kind of condition would be applicable for me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It generally takes about 7-10 months from start to finish. This includes 5-6 months processing of the I-130 with USCIS, 1-2 months of processing at the NVC and 1-2 for interview completion and entrance to the U.S.


In order to bring your spouse (husband or wife) to live in the United States as a green card holder you must submit Form I-130. Once it is approved, it will be sent for consular processing and the consulate or embassy will provide notification and processing information. It will take 4-6 months. Perhaps longer if more information is needed.

This link will provide more information:

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Six months to a year

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer