Skip to main content

How long does it take to change status from B1/B2 to F1?

Alexandria, VA |

What are the requirements and does it need to be that you have both visas?
For example, you entered the country on B1/B2 but you also have a F1 visa. Like, we need to do filing and stuff at the school before the reporting date and the 30 days allotment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you entered on B-1/2, you need to change your status to F-1 if you have a valid I-20 and are admitted to school

Check with the university DSO

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


It always take a few months to cos.


Once you file properly and timely with respective documents the status change may take several weeks or even a couple of months. Once the request is accepted you will be notified of the decision by mail. If need to keep your F-1 current with I-20 you may do so to addend the school where you studied prior.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


I meant attend the school, I regret the misspelling.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer