Skip to main content

How long does it take the APL to stop when divorce is signed in PA?

Kittanning, PA |

I had my divorce decree signed today! I was ordered to pay APL during the 2 year wait and my employer has been taking it out 2 years and 2 months now. She didn't answer my complaint, never got an attorney to ask for alimony and the divorce went into default, and my attorney filed a precipe to transmit the record, and it was signed today. How long does it take the Domestic Relations to STOP the APL from my paychecks so I am not paying her anymore! She deliberately stalled this so she could get as much money out of me as she could!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In the court system, the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. It is your responsibility to arrange a halt to the spousal support (it was never APL, since she never raised any economic claims in connection with the divorce). You should take the certified copy of your divorce decree to Domestic Relations and ask to terminate the support. If they refuse to do it on the strength of the decree and instead want to schedule a hearing, ask them at least to arrange to escrow your payments and hold them in the system (rather than releasing them to your former wife) until the matter is resolved.

If you do nothing, the support will continue as if nothing happened, and the termination will date back only to the date you ask for the termination, and *not* back to the date of the decree; you can expect that every day you don't go in and make the request will be treated as a gift you are making to your former wife, and you will never see that money again.

Attorney Michael B. Greenstein
Pittsburgh, PA

This response is offered for informational purposes only, does not create a lawyer/client relationship, and should not be taken as legal advice.


Michael Greenstein answered the question fully.

I agree that you need to take immediate steps to terminate the support order with the Domestic Relations Office or it will continue indefinitely.

Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer