Skip to main content

How long does it take for the approval of work permit for VAWA applicants ?

Congers, NY |

I filed for Violence Against Women Act status (VAWA I - 136) and a work permit in December 2011.

On January 2012, I got a Request for Evidence (RFE) for good moral conduct. I submitted evidence by February 3rd, 2012. I haven't heard from immigration since then. How long would it take for approval for a work permit?

And also what would be the next steps in getting approval of a work permit after applying for VAWA?

The USCIS website indicates a response in 60 days to receiving the evidence. So, should I be expecting a response by April?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In my experience, you should get a decision about your VAWA application status within 90 days of USCIS receiving the answer to the RFE.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services allows survivors of domestic violence to seek work and lawful status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). An abused spouse or child of a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident can self-petition for lawful status. VAWA provides domestic violence survivors the ability to get out of their unsafe situation and reach an independent, quality way of life.

In determining how long approval for VAWA will take, it is important to review the USCIS guidelines. However, you should be mindful that processing times are estimates and are not guarantees for when you should receive an answer.

FREE CONSULTATION ON IMMIGRATION AND DEPORTATION MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley 208 S. LaSalle St. Suite 1400 Chicago, Illinois 60604 773-501-2039


The time frame in which you should hear about your approval for work through the VAWA application depends on whether or not your application was complete and accurate when it was filed after you submitted the RFE. Any mistakes will drastically delay the case.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case were not provided and thoroughly reviewed. Any answers are NOT to be deemed as attorney advice as a full legal opinion can NOT be provided at this time without a complete analysis of all of the facts regarding your particular matter. Any and all statements provided do NOT in any way create any type of attorney/client relationship.


You usually get the work permit within 90 days of filing the adjustment application (the i485) with work permit. This may be delayed by the rfe. You don't mention that you filed the adjustment. It looks like you only files the i360 which does not by itself give you work permission.



But I did file for the I - 765 along with the i-360.No,I couldn't manage my spouse to apply for the i-485 .So,will I have for approval of i-360 to get the work permit ?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer