How long does it take EEOC to send u a letter of determination by mail?

Manhattan Beach, CA |

i got a year to file a lawsuit got a 'sue letter' but my invistigator has not gone to 'invistigate' yet due to being backed up or behind,etc it says by 200 days or so which would be in feb/march for me of 2012 they should be invistigating to find 'if violations occured' which would then get me a 'letter of determination' and my employer and hopefully punishment or 'remedy settlement' for allegations. I am not in a rush since i got into Nov 2012 to file a lawsuit but i do believe the invistigator would be done invistigating by then and EEOC is in charge of my 'current charge'

Filed under: Employment

Best Answer

Please see my responses to your other queries. Yes, the EEOC has a backlog. You need to see an employment litigator, many of whom work on a contingency basis, so you only pay them if and when you win something. If your claim is good, you won't have a problem finding a lawyer.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

As Attorney Koslyn said, the EEOC is backlogged. The downturn in the economy has resulted in many layoffs, and thus many new EEOC claims. The investigators are just taking longer than usual to process the claims, which sometimes unfortunately tend to just sit there for months and months. I'd consult with an employment lawyer in your area who handles EEOC matters, and he or she may be able to assist you.

I am licensed to practice only in Florida. My answer does not constitute legal advice, and the answering of this question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

It takes a lot of history for a specific employer to acquire a reputation as intractable, even as to well-stated claims with sound factual support, but your former employer has managed to accomplish that. You need to play the cards you've got rather than the ones you wish you had. Your case will not be settled by EEOC. It will not be settled or won by you as pro per. It will not settle early on even if you are represented by skilled and experienced counsel. As Ms. Koslyn has been trying to make you hear over the course of about a dozen posts, you need to do two specific things now: 1. Get a good lawyer and 2. Prepare for a long and contested lawsuit.

Those are the facts and another hundred posts here won't change them.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.