Skip to main content

How long does it take does it take for a citizen to file for her mother outside of the US

Bronx, NY |

After receiving citizenship 3years after marrying to a citizen

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 4


You will need to consular process. If you are a citizen, the whole process will likely take around 6-8 months (give or take). I strongly advise you retain an immigration attorney to assist you, as filing a relative petition is not as easy as it may look. Good Luck.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.


I agree. Depends on a consulate and facts of the case. Make sure mom does medical exam; you submit an affidavit of support on time, etc. All this can delay the process. Have a lawyer helping you, it's worth it.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


It depends on the Consul ... my estimate is 7 to 12 months.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Apply now. Once petition is approved, file goes to the NVC and then to the Consulate. It takes approximately 9-12 months for the entire process.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.