Skip to main content

How long does a misdemeanor stay on a record for the state of Florida? This one was in May 2008 for a bad check?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

Do I need to get a lawyer for a clearance on a misdemeanor for a bad check that was filed in May 2008?
How long does it stay on a record?
Will it interfere with me getting a new job..I was just laid off

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The arrest will stay on your record forever unless you have it sealed or expunged. If you were convicted, then there is nothing you can do about it. If your case was either dismissed or had adjudication withheld, the other options I mentioned may be available to you. Contact a criminal defense attorney to assist you with this.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


Mr Tomas is correct. Unless you get the record sealed, it will remain there forever. If adjudication was withheld, the state permits you to seal the case and, under most circumstances, you may legally deny that the charge ever occurred. Please check my website blog if you have any additional questions or wish to set an appointment at my office in St Petersburg. Good luck

Robert E. Heyman, Esq


I agree with the other gentlemen. The charge will stay on your record forever unless you get it sealed/expunged. It will probably be easier and more effective to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to help you with this process.
As far as your new job, that depends on what you are trying to get hired for. Unfortunately, most places do background checks and your arrest may be harmful in getting you a new job. If you should have any other questions on the sealing process, please feel free to call our office or review our website.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer