Skip to main content

How long does a Family Court case trial take?

New York, NY |

I haven't received the papers yet since I guess the petitioner doesn't know my new address. But, since I want a trial as I am completely innocent, can I just go to the court before the next court date and accept the papers. Will there then be a trial set for the next court date? How long does it usually take from the point when you receive and accept the papers until the Family Court trial?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on what kind of Family Court case you have. If it's a custody or neglect case, it may take 12-18 months. If it's a support case or family offense case, those taken much shorter times, but you may still be looking at 4-6 months for a support case & 6-8 months for a family offense. These time frames are very approximate & also vary by the court & the Judge. You may goto Court & get the petition yourself, and the Judge/Magistrate will take your acknowledgement of service on the 1st court date. In any event, I encourage you to schedule a follow-up consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


The paperwork should be served on you at least 8 days before the court date. If you show up om the date of the appearance without being served, then the case can be heard if the petitioner shows up. You can also file a petition and have the other side served at least 8 days before the court date. The length of the case depends on the type of the proceeding, whether child support, custody, order of protection, neglect or abuse. It also varies depending on the court backlog and the availability of all the attorneys. See an experienced family law attorney to assist you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or



No, no child involved, it's just my ex who falsely accused me. All DV accusations in the petition, all lies since I have never, and would never, assaulted her in any way.


I agree with my colleagues.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer