Skip to main content

How long does a domestic violence stay on my record in the state of Colorado?

Denver, CO |
Attorney answers 2


A misdemeanor conviction stays on your record in Colorado forever. Whether the offense was 25 years ago or last year, judges, prosecutors, and other individuals have access to your criminal history on the national computer maintained by the FBI - NCIC and the state computer system maintained by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation - CCIC. That is the status if it was a "conviction." If it was dismissed, you were found not guilty at trial, or dismissed after successfully completing a deferred judgment and sentence, then you might be able to seal the record. If that is the situation, you need to consult an attorney familiar with filing sealings.


Attorney Leroi is right. Only if all charges are either dismissed or you are found not guilty at trial can you file a petition to seal the record. Domestic violence convictions, it is my understanding, cannot be sealed. If you are arrested but no charges are filed then you can seek to seal your record.

You should consult with a criminal attorney to see if you are eligible to seal your record.

In any case, once you have a criminal record the government will know about it even if your criminal record is sealed.

All the Best

No attorney client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts in your case. This is for general information only. Check our website for more information as to disclaimers and information herein. I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question nor have I given any legal advise. I want to confirm that no attorney-client relationship has been created between myself or our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can change the law in ways that may affect the strength of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm nor its attorney (s) cannot properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I would advise you to retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer