Skip to main content

How long does a court have to collect for a fine before the statute of limitations expires?

Watertown, NY |

in or about 1990s i sent all my court fines ( 2 Di's from Massenet town court and child support ) to judgment so i could get my license back . As of t last summer Massenet town court is trying to collect on one of the Di's and I don't think I should be paying this for the fact it was sent to judgment and the judgment was satisfied

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is really a civil question but the short answer is as long as they want.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Produce proof of the satisfied judgment to the court.


If you satisfied the judgment then show the court a copy of the satisfaction.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


If you do not have your receipts from the court satisfying your fines, and you have no other documentary evidence, you might argure that DMV would not have allowed you to have your license reinstated if the court had advised them that you had failed to pay any fine, and that its insistence now, 20+ years later, is their record keeping error or omission, not yours or that of the DMV. Good luck

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.