How long do you have from the time of treatment to file a malpractice case in massachusetts

Plymouth, MA |

many states vary on there time limit to file i need to know the time limit in massachusetts

Filed under: Medical malpractice

The Massachusetts statute of limitations on a medical malpractice claim is three (3) years. However, if you have any thought that you might have a claim, you need to make an appointment for a consultation right away. The reason is that the attorney needs time to perform an independent investigation, which includes obtaining all records and consulting with a medical expert.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

No matter what the actual time deadline is for filing a lawsuit, it is always good to consult with and retain an attorney as soon after the incident as possible so that the proper investigation can be done to: (a) determine if you have a case; and (b) maximize the value of the case.

Aside from the three year statute of limitations, there is also something called the discovery rule, which could extend the statute of limitations so that you are not precluded from filing a lawsuit. Like the other responses, I suggest you contact an attorney immediately.