Skip to main content

How long do the people in the other car legaly have to seek medical attention after a minor accident.

Marianna, FL |

An 18 year driver with 3 other teens ran a red light an hit me. no damage to the other vehical. no injurys to any of us. exchanged info reported it after speaking to the owner of vehical (mom) a pedestrian checked if we were ok. asked for his name and #. (mom) claims we know witness. He was walking. We do not know him. now they all 4 claim they r injured. insurance co. said we r not at fault. do I need a lawyer? Also I'm disable. Mom said a # of reasons why she will sue me. crazy

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


There is no time limit. Injuries may take hours, days or weeks to manifest

A lot of precautions, except for the most important one - reporting the incident to the police. Let your liability insurer handle the matter. You may retain private counsel.

The witness is important.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff



Thank you for your advice, and timely responce

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams


Your welcone


If the other driver ran a red light causing an accident, their claims against you are going nowhere. Make sure to report it to your insurance company, one of the things we all get when we buy insurance is a legal defense - let your insurance company do its job. Tell them everything. There's no rule about how long after an accident they can seek medical attention. But the more time that goes by, the more the insurance company will question the injury. The argument is the injuries were not caused by the accident. Here's more: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Report it to your liability carrier and let them worry about it. That's why you have paid premiums.


After an accident, especially if it's not your fault, you should always try to console with an attorney who practices personal injury. Most personal injury attorneys will console with you on a contingency fee basis also. It would be in your best interest at this time to seek representation. Best of luck

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Shiner is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Shiner strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about David I. Shiner or the Shiner Law Group, P.A. please call our office at (561) 368-3363 or toll free at 1 (855) 368-3363 or visit website at or


There are no time limits. Your insurance carrier will give the injuries less credibility the longer the period of time before treatment.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer