Skip to main content

How long do I have to sue a former employer for wrongful termination?

Farmingdale, NY |

I went to HR on a Friday to see the negative review that I received and they said that they could not get to it because it was in a large stack and needed to be filed. I was then fired on Monday.

I was told I had to "Sign" the review, but I emailed the HR person and said that the review was false . I was never told that I could contest it. I just now read something on line that if you contest then when it is under review you could not be fired. Please advise . Thank you !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yo have 300 days from termination to file with the EEOC which preserves your federal rights, one year to go the division of human rights under the state law or 3 years to go to court if you just file in state court.


You should have an experienced labor and employment attorney review the facts of your case. They may be able to negotiate a severance, if possible.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The Mack Cali Building
One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
(201) 849-4548

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


300 days to preserve all your claims. Please be aware, however, that under NY law, your wrongful discharge must be related either to: (a) unlawful discrimination or retaliation; or, (b) in violation of a contract right. A generalized claim of unfairness is not covered.

Best of Luck!

Ryan Finn
Serving clients throughout New York State

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer