Skip to main content

How long do I have to report a slip and fall accident to the property owner?

Kansas City, MO |

My sister slipped and fell on some ice in a restaurant parking lot . She didn't think that she had any serious injuries . But , later found out that she had broken her ankle . There were witnesses who helped her up off of the ground . But no one went inside the restaurant to report it . She has incurred a lot of medical bills and has not been able to drive and do everyday activity . A few days later , she notified the restaurant who filed a claim with their insurance company . The insurance company has denied her claim to pay for her medical expenses because they said she did not file a claim in a timely manner . Does my sister have any options ? She is 68 years old . She is not familiar with how things like this works . What are her options ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Your friend needs to hire a personal injury lawyer asap and let them handle.


Never deal with an insurance company without a lawyer. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate a potential claim.


Retain an attorney ASAP and avoid talking to the insurance company until you have had an opportunity to do so.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


If you have a claim against a municpality or government entity, there are time limits that you have to provide notice. For private businesses, you must abide by the statute of limitations. You should discuss these issues with an attorney as soon as possible so you don't miss any deadlines. I'd be happy to discuss your sister's case, and feel free to contact me with any questions. It is much better to have an attorney deal with the insurance company that to have your sister go at it alone.


You should consult with a local attorney ASAP. Do not deal with the insurance company yourself. As for proving your sister's claim, did she get the names and phone numbers of any of the eyewitnesses? If so, I would provide that information to the attorney you consult with so that he/she can contact them in order to collaborate your sister's story with to the restaurant's insurance company.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer