Skip to main content

How long do I have to repay the state of IL?

Chicago, IL |

I included a tax debt owed to the state of IL in my bankruptcy. Is there a time-frame to repay this debt? I owe $1,200.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to see what sort of arrangements can be made with the state. Perhaps you can even negotiate a reduction. You probably know your debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.


First, were you advised by your bankruptcy counsel whether the debt was dischargeable? Income tax debts for returns that were properly filed are dischargeable in bankruptcy unless they apply to recent returns.

If the debt remains an obligation, I would start by trying to make a payment arrangement.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.

Henry Repay

Henry Repay


P.S. Other taxes are not dischargeable, such as sales tax or employee withholding taxes owed by a business.


The state of Illinois will take a tax refund if you get one next year if you don't pay them. Whether the tax is dischargeable in your Chapter 7 matters. Also you should make arrangements to pay them if you bankruptcy is still pending as tax debts accrue interest. Call the state and make payments if the taxes are non-dischargeable.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer