Skip to main content

How long do I have to file a claim on a personal injury case in Mn. I have contacted the insurance company and that have offere

Minneapolis, MN |

me a setlement and I am not sure how they determind the amount. Is it to late for me to contact an Person Injury attorny for assistance in determining if this is a fair settlement. I have not signed or agreed to any settlement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The time frame that you must file a claim within differs based on the type of act or omission that your claim is based upon. Typically, a claim based upon negligence in the State of Minnesota must be instated within 6-years of the occurrence of the event. Depending on your specific set of facts and circumstances that surround your possible claim, there may be additional notice requirements to the possible defendants. Additionally, if your claim is based on product liability or an intentional act, the suitable time frame is much shorter.

You should contact an attorney before accepting any settlement from the insurance company.

Eric Palmer
Palmer O'Dea Law Firm

My Standard Disclaimer: This is not to be considered legal advice. Do not rely on this information as legal advice. Consult an attorney prior to taking any actions. I am not your attorney. To be your attorney relative to this, or any other matter, we must have a written retainer agreement in place.


I suggest that you immediately contact a personal injury attorney in your area and determined the statute of limitations that applies to your incident. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation and I suggest you take advantage of that service. Do not delay in seeking counsel.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure that proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer