How long do I have or how can I collect my personal belongings AFTER our divorce?

Portland, OR |

I left everything and was not awarded any property in the decree. I was Pro Se and she had a lawyer. I would like my personal items. I have asked her for these things and it is a game to her. I have several texts from her stating that "it's all hers now". What are my options?
Thank you.

It really depends on what your divorce decree says. If no mention is made of who has ownership of these items, then in practice, whoever currently has possession of them will keep them. Note also that Oregon law specifically prohibits modification of the property division terms of a divorce judgment. This is why we discourage people from representing themselves - it has to be done right the first time.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

I agree with counsel on all counts. Check the divorce decree. Many contain a provision that will say something like, "the personal property has been divided to the parties' satisfaction". If yours says anything like this or is otherwise silent on the issue, you're likely out of luck.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.