Skip to main content

How long do hotels give you to move out after you have been notified verbaly?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

I am behind on my rent and I can't catch up.....I don't mind moving...but I can't find a place to go in 24 hrs

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you are a transient resident, then the situation is covered by Chapter 509 of the Florida Statutes. You are a transient resident if you have a permanent residence somewhere else. In that case, the hotel can ask the local sheriff to remove you immediately once they announce that you are no longer welcome there.

You have established residency if you live at the hotel as your permanent home. Have you changed your driver's license to the hotel address? Have you been there more than thirty days? Is this your only home right now? Are you receiving mail there? If you answered yes to any of these, then your situation probably falls under Chapter 83 of the Florida Statutes and you can only be evicted by the hotel filing an eviction action.

The fact that you are calling the money owed "rent" and that you say you would have to find another place makes me believe that you are a tenant and the situation is a landlord / tenant one under Chapter 83. The hotel owner / landlord would have to serve you a written three-day Pay or Quit Notice and file an eviction in the courts. If the hotel owner / landlord locks your door or turns off electric, call the local law enforcement and call an attorney. For each lockout or power shutoff, you may be due a sum equal to three months' worth of rent.

Good luck! Call one of us if you need an appointment. Please vote this a good answer if it helped. Thank you.


As the other answer explains, it depends on whether you are a transient resident or not. I actually recently wrote a blog entry about a case where a hotel was found liable for not following proper eviction procedures because it had changed the locks on a resident, and the hotel was ordered to pay damages to the guest.

Without more information on your situation, such as the length of time you have resided there, the frequency at which you pay rent (weekly, daily, monthly, etc.), and other facts, I can't tell what your status is.

Assuming, however, that you are a non-transient resident, the hotel will have to follow the procedures in Chapter 83, Florida Statutes, which includes posting a correct notice as well as filing an eviction action with the local court. If you receive any notices, or if your landlord takes any adverse action against you, I would advise you to consult with an attorney who lists landlord-tenant among their practice areas.

I am licensed to practice only in Florida. My answer does not constitute legal advice, and the answering of this question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer