Skip to main content

How long can I stay outside of the united states as a permanent resident?

Long Beach, NY |
Attorney answers 6


It depends on whether you have a reentry permit or not.

With a reentry permit, up to two years.

Without a reentry permit, you should not stay longer than six months.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


The point of being a LPR is to live in the United States. We recommend never staying outside the US for 6 months and NEVER EVER over a year without a re-entry permit

Note: The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


You can stay outside the USA for up to a year without automatically loosing your green card (so long as you did not get a reentry permit). That said, you can lose your green card if you are outside for a shorter period of time if you no longer intend to remain a permanent resident, which is someone who lives and works in the USA. Be careful with any absences of 6 months or longer.

Michael H. Sharon has been practicing immigration law for more than 25 years. His response to your question is not legal advice but only legal information and is general in nature since not all the facts of the case are known to him. We recommend that you contact an experienced immigration attorney to review all of the facts in your case in order that he/she can provide you with advice specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. If you wish to contact Mr. Sharon, please send him an e-mail at


You an can stay outside the U.S. as long as you want. However the longer the stay and the reason for the stay will impact not only your ability to return but also your ability to naturalize.


If you file a form I-131 and properly execute it, have your fingerprints taken, etc. you can then leave the country for up to two years. Please consult an immigration attorney if you have additional questions.

Debbi Klopman, Esq.
718 622 1208
The above information is general in nature and does not constitute a legal opinion and is not deemed to have created an attorney-client relationship


United States permanent residence requires that you live in the U.S. If you are out of the U.S. for more than six months this can break your accumulation of residence for the purpose of applying for citizenship. Furthermore, an extended absence can result in you losing your permanent residence status.

If you plan to be out of the U.S. for more than 180 days, you should explore the option of a re-entry permit. This must be filed with USCIS prior to your departure, while you are still physically present in the U.S. As part of the reentry permit application, the Immigration Service must take applicant's biometrics/fingerprinting in the U.S. This permit can be valid for up to two years. You must return to the U.S. prior to the expiration of the Reentry Permit.

Please keep in mind that regardless of whether you have an re-entry permit, it is critically important to continue to maintain your permanent resident status. Factors that USCIS considers are, for instance, whether you have maintained a U.S. residence, a state driver’s license, a U.S. bank account and most importantly whether you continue to file as a “resident” (as opposed to “non-resident) for U.S. income tax purposes.

I recommend that you contact an immigration attorney asap to discuss your possible options.

Avi Friedman| Attorney at Law | Wolfsdorf Immigration Law Group | 1416 2nd Street | Santa Monica, CA 90401 | (T) 310-570-4088 x249 | (F) 310-570-4080 | | | Offices in Santa Monica, CA and New York City

This message is provided for general informational use only and is not specific legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer