Skip to main content

How long can i stay in the US legally after my OPT expires?

New York, NY |

My Student Visa has expired in June 2011 and my OPT expires 21st February 2012, by when do I have to leave the US? Is there any grace period?

I am planning to leave the US by March 4th, would that cause any problem for me if i want to re-enter the US in the future?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Generally there si a 60 day grace period. You should check with your DSO or attorney to confirm this

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


I agree with my colleague.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


My colleagues are correct.

This opinion is not intended or offered as legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship between this site, the author(s), or the publisher, and you or any other user. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act, or fail to act, upon this information without seeking professional counsel.


I agree with my colleagues above regarding the 60 day grace period.

Avi Friedman| Attorney at Law | Wolfsdorf Immigration Law Group | 1416 2nd Street | Santa Monica, CA 90401 | (T) 310-570-4088 x249 | (F) 310-570-4080 | | | Offices in Santa Monica, CA and New York City

This message is provided for general informational use only and is not specific legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.