Skip to main content

How long can an inmate be kept in solitary confinement when they have medical conditions that need to be treated?

Mc Rae, GA |

My father, a 54 year old man, is in a federal correctional facility. He has informed me that he has been in solitary confinement for approximately five months. He cannot see the light of day and he states that where they have placed him is very humid and in deplorable conditions. He has a severe allergic reaction all over his body for which he is not being treated. I tried to call to get information but, based on HIPAA, they are refusing to give me any information regarding his whereabouts or well-being. I need to know what can be done and whether there are any places in Georgia that provide legal services to prisoners.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Why is he in solitary confinrement?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


I don't believe there is any set time period, however if he is suffering health problems you need to put the facility on notice and you might want to consult with an attorney about filing a habeas motion regarding his "cruel and unusual punishment"


You may want to check with the prison and find out if it has its own internal policies about solitary confinement. Regardless of what that policy is, the prison could still be violating your father's rights if his treatment is amounting to cruel and unusual punishment. You should consult with an attorney to get further advice on this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer