Skip to main content

How long can a court date stay valid?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I was charged with Hit and Run on Jan. 6 and my court date was supposed to be Feb. 22 but they said it was continued, so I just want to know how long can a court date stay valid?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Court dates are regularly continued, but you need to confirm the continuance with the clerk of that court that it actually has been continued and confirm the new date. Also, a hit and run can have serious consequences to your license and could impact insurance coverage. Seek legal counsel before court about both of these issues.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Timothy Minthorn Klob

Timothy Minthorn Klob


I agree, and Robert has raised some significant reasons why not seeking legal representation could have a long-term negative impact.


There may be certain court deadlines that require scheduling within a specific period of time. You need to hire a local traffic time attorney or criminal attorney to review this matter.


You will likely receive a new court date soon, and while your current court date is no longer valid due to your case being continued, the underlying case remains valid and is subject to being reset for a new date. While you should receive written notice for your new court date, you should also check in with the clerk of court and any online resources that would provide you updates on the status of your case to make sure you know when the next date is and when you should appear.

For additional guidance, I would also recommend you post any issues about your case in the criminal defense questions section here on AVVO in order to obtain and hire legal counsel if you have not done so already. There are some excellent local criminal defense attorneys near you in both Gwinnett and Walton Counties, some of whom also regularly provide answers here on AVVO, and you absolutely must ensure that you have legal counsel before proceeding to court. I wish you all the best.

Timothy M. Klob
Klob Law Firm

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia before all Georgia courts for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation. Respondent is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern Districts of Georgia and Texas, respectively, for federal matters including judicial review of Social Security matters. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.


You question is not completely clear, so feel free to post a comment clarifying what you are trying to determine if this answer or the other answers you have received are not sufficient. If the case was continued, that would mean that the original court date of February 22 was moved to another day. If "they" refers to your lawyer, you should contact him or her to determine why the case was moved so you can be fully informed as to what is happening with your case. If "they" refers to the court and you are not represented, you should request a notice of continuance in writing so there is no confusion (and you don't end up with a bench warrant and bond forfeiture by not appearing on February 22 if "they" are incorrect about the continuance) and an explanation as to why the case was continued.

Regarding the hit and run charge, you should be sure to hire an attorney or seek a public defender to help you negotiate that charge with the prosecutor. Depending on the circumstances of the case (for example, how you were caught, the nature of the injuries suffered by you or others in the accident, whether alcohol was involved, etc.), that charge can often be negotiated to a lesser offense. That is particularly true if your insurance company is covering the property damage and bodily injury claims made in connection with the accident.

Contact the criminal defense lawyer of your choice right away to seek legal advice specific to your case and to move forward with a lawyer at your side who will fight to protect and defend your rights.

Best of luck to you.

DISCLAIMER: This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationsip has been, or will be, created until a valid engagement agreement is signed. No duty arises from this posting. Answers posted here are general and made with limited knowledge of the actual facts of your case. Always speak with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction if you wish legal advice specific to your case.


I agree that you should retain a lawyer.


Technically, unless you demand a speedy trial by filing appropriate and timely motions, they can prosecute you anytime before statute of limitations expires for your particular charge. You should contact an experienced criminal atty or request a public defender as soon as possible as well as notifying your insurance company who will hopefully cover any damages you may have caused if you were at fault in the collision.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.


Check with the court for your next date, and bring a local criminal lawyer with you to defend on your court date.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer