How long and how much should you ask for spouse support is you are disable , married for 10 years spouse income $56,000

Lithonia, GA |

We bought a home together , his name only on mortgage , can I claim both spouse support and the home, since he can qualify for another home.

There is no set amount or duration required for alimony. Any lawyer will need more facts to give you advice. Alimony is based on your needs and your husband's ability to pay. There are also other factors that may be taken into consideration such as conduct of the parties and the duration of your marriage. Also, the alimony awards differ greatly depending on your judge. You should meet with an attorney about your specific situation so you can get a more thorough answer. Good luck!

There is no formula (and no guarantee of alimony or a specific property division), and the outcome will depend on the judge, and on details not in your post. The one certainty is that pro se litigants do far worse on these issues than people with lawyers, so retain counsel.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman)

As detailed above, there is no easy calculation for alimony. The Court will review the parties' entire financial situation and, where alimony is sought and authorized, alimony will be awarded "to either party in accordance with the needs of the party and the ability of the other party to pay." O.C.G.A. (c)

As evidenced in the link, the Georgia Code regarding alimony is broad and complex.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney.