Skip to main content

How long after serving somebody divorce papers does the process take to finish? And what can i expect if it is uncontested.

Lafayette, LA |

I filed a Divorce 102 no children 180 form like 1 month ago, but my wife was served them just last week. We have been separated for about 5 months now. And i want this to be finalized as fast as possible.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If your spouse is not cooperating, you must wait 180 days after service to file your Rule to Show Cause for a final divorce hearing. You must serve her again. If she wants the divorce, you can file an amended petition under Article 103, 180 days after you separated.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.