Skip to main content

How long after my husband receives his green card before he can apply for his mother to be a PR?

Atlanta, GA |

I am a USC. My husband and I are going through I-485 process now. Biometrics appt. next week. He is not seeking citizenship, only PR. His mother is currently in the US on a work visa. How long after he receives his initial green card (after immigration interviews) before he can begin the process of applying for her to get PR. Or would it just be better for me to apply for her as well?

Thanks very much for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He needs to be US citizen in order to apply for his mother. Since your husband is married to you, and your are a US citizen, he can apply for his US citizenship after 2 years and 9 months after receiving his green card. There is no immigration category which would allow you to apply for your mother-in-law. Consult with experienced immigration attorney on these matters.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


Your husband will have to be a citizen before he can apply for his mother. Once he get his green card, and depending on the time he has accumulated, he can apply for his citizenship and then apply for his mother. Unfortunately, you cannot apply for his mother under immigration law.


However long it takes him to become a US citizen.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.