Skip to main content

How long after being sentenced can I fill for an appeal in Ohio, on a felony case that I accepted a plea bargain on?

Toledo, OH |
Attorney answers 3


Where a person accepts a plea, his or her grounds for appeal are much more limited than if he or she had gotten convicted. Anybody considering an appeal should consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, so that the appeal can be filed within the applicable time limits.

A response to a question on Avvo is NOT legal advice. These answers are provided for general informational purposes ONLY. Thomas Haren is not your attorney until you have signed a retainer agreement with his firm and paid a fee. Questions posted on Avvo normally provide very limited information, and thus a more detailed, private conversation is needed before any answers should be relied upon. DO NOT POST CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ON AVVO.


Your public defender should answer this question. A lot depends on whether your plea agreement preserved any issues for appeal. If not, you should consult with a different lawyer about whether you received ineffective assistance of counsel.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is advisable to consult with an attorney with full disclosure of relevant facts for a comprehensive leagl opinion.


You have 30 days after your sentencing to file an appeal. If you haven't been sentenced yet, you need to quickly file a motion to withdraw your plea, stating you had bad advice from your public defender. The best chance to have a motion to withdraw a plea granted is before sentencing.

If you've already been sentenced however, you can still file an appeal if the court (1) received insufficient information to ensure the plea was knowing and voluntary; or (2) failed to follow guidelines under Criminal Rule 11 when accepting the plea.

Either way, you'll need a new lawyer, because you have a conflict with your public defender, since you're alleging it was their ineptitude for talking you into the plea.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer