Skip to main content

How likely would it be to rescind the paternity acknowledgement after the 60-day grace period under the following conditions?

Olympia, WA |

I signed Acknowledgement form in WI after child was born in late 2011 because I trusted the mother (my best friend for 6 years before starting relationship) that she had not had sex with anyone else during the time we were together. We married early 2012, they moved out to WA (I'm military) with me, and I deployed mid-2012. I recently returned from deployment and my wife told me she "remembered" a night around the child's conception that she went to a party, took an unknown pill, and woke up the next morning with no recollection of the night prior. We had a legal paternity test done at DNA Diagnostics Center and it stated I had a 0% chance of being the biological father. We're also getting an uncontested divorce but want to disestablish paternity before filing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The answer depends on many details you do not discuss. Bottom line: Immediately consult with a good family law attorney. Time is of the essence. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on paternity and divorce for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


This child is presumed to be yours, so the issue must be addressed is the Dissolution, but it doe not necessarily have to be done prior to the filing of the Dissolution. The two cases can go on simultaneously. These is a statutory time limit for disallowing paternity, so see an attorney right away.


I agree with the previous responses. Look at RCW 26.26.335. I recommend you consult with an attorney to discuss your rights and the deadlines for filing this action.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship.