Skip to main content

How likely is it I can cross the border to visit my husband?

Great Barrington, MA |

First time I applied for green card, I left the US and self deported by accident. Reapplied while in Canada in August. Technically, I shouldn't be allowed in the country until I get the green card, but I was allowed to cross in September, for a business convention. No one questioned me, or said I was flagged or anything. They never even asked for proof. They just scanned my passport and let me go. If I try to cross to visit my husband and family this summer, how likely is it that I'll end up being allowed to cross considering I was allowed already?

So... nobody has answered my actual question...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I would recommend consulting with an attorney. The attorney can review all the facts of your case and advice.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


What your husband needs to do is sit down with a local immigration lawyer to explain him the process and make sure no mistakes by either you or him are made, which could substantially delay the process and keep you apart even longer.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


More facts are need in order to respond to your question.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Whatever you do, do not be dishonest! You don't have to volunteer to tell your life story


Stay home.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.