How is income paid to trust treated in year trustee dies?

San Francisco, CA |

My dad had a trust and he passed in March 2012. His rental property pays to the trust. (The trust is still open as we continue to liquidate his assets). Is income received to trust exempt from taxes for all of 2012, or are beneficiaries liable starting after the date of his death? Or, are beneficiaries liable once they receive payouts from the trust?

The successor trustee is responsible for filing income taxes, etc., on behalf of the trust. The successor trustee should consult qualified tax counsel as well as an attorney in matters that concern the affairs of the trust.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Your father should have a final individual income tax return (Form 1040) covering the period from January 2012 until his death. The trust should file Form 1041. You should speak with a good tax preparer, accountant, or tax attorney about filing Form 1041 as there are a number of elections that may be beneficial depending on your circumstances. The 1041 will generally generate a K-1 for each beneficiary. As a result, the Successor Trustee should seek advice immediately in order to avoid possibly holding up all the benefiaries' tax returns.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mrs. Cook is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in San Diego County. She is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

It would be smart to get this matter to a CPA for handling the tax matters. The taxes can be almost punitive on a trust, if the income is not passed through appropriately to beneficiaries or exempted out for qualified expenses.