Skip to main content

How is child support calculated in Minnesota with 2 kids that do not have the same parenting time?

Inver Grove Heights, MN |


My son lives with me 100%. My daughter lives with me 50%. The calculator the state provides seems to assume that the children have the same parenting time. I'm not sure how to use the calculator under my circumstance. Can you help?

Thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would need to have more information about your situation, such as your income, the non-custodial parent's income, and any orders for parenting time. If you'd like, you can schedule an initial consultation and we can talk about it. I work in Scott and Dakota Counties

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


The attorneys from your same state are the best source of guidance and up-to-date information. Good luck!


The most common way to approach a split-custody child support determination is to do two separate calculations and then merge them together. For example, if based on the child support calculator, your wife should be paying you $500 a month for your son and you should be paying her $375 a month for your daughter, then the final result would be for her to pay you $125.

You can find the online child support calculator at the link proivded below.

Amanda Swanberg is licensed to practice in MN and her response is based on MN law. Ms. Swanberg’s response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to her. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Ms. Swanberg's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


Again, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by the attorneys from your same state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer