Skip to main content

How is child support affected once alimony ends? will child support increases when alimony is over?

Tavares, FL |

my lawyer advised me not to give up pursuit of alimony in my divorce settlement with my wife. currently she makes about 51,000 annually to my 22,000. he said alimony will affect the child support payment and it would only be temporary (about 3 years) because we were only married 9 years. when calculating the initial child support I know u claim alimony as income. however in three years when alimony is ended will my lower child support payment stay the same or will it increase?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This forum cannot be used to get a 'second opinion' about what your attorney has said to you. He/she knows your case and all the facts.

You really need to listen to your own attorney, but if you do not trust the advice, then you need to hire an attorney that can review your case, with your attorney's knowledge.

Good luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


It's hard to income might be down but you never know. I would think that you would want to see your income increase during that time frame. Regardless, assuming if and how much alimony will be paid is very tricky. Furthermore, trying to predict your respective incomes in 3 years is also tricky. Finally, you have a lawyer! Why are you seeking other advice? We're all going to tell you to talk to an attorney an you already have one. Good luck.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


I would recommend you have discussions regarding your case with your attorney who is likely 100 times more informed of all the facts than we could be.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.